A new and innovative approach to spinal treatment in adults targets pain relief by providing postural rehabilitation and spinal offloading. Scoliosis in adults is typically the result of either having the disease as a child which has progressed to adulthood, or from the degenerative processes of abnormal aging. The scoliosis can be of any classification ( lumbar, thoracic, thoracolumbar, etc) and can result in chronic pain, leg discomfort, digestive, and lung complications.
Adults with Scoliosis are now being successfully treated with the SpineCor Dynamic Scoliosis Brace. The goal of treatment in not to correct the adult scoliosis, as that is not possible with a brace, but rather to help support the spine and alleviate pain.
The new SpineCor Pain Relief Back Brace is a neuro-muscular-skeletal rehabilitation tool for treating abnormal spinal loading and abnormal posture; it is not a simple back support brace.
Modes of action:
- Corrective movements gently guide the posture and spinal alignment in an optimal direction.
- The elastic corrective bands act to resist the body's movement back to the abnormal position.
- This constant correction, relaxation, correction, relaxation is in reality a corrective postural exercise.
- The brace is able to put a patient's body through 10's of 1000's of repetitions per day instead of the10-50 repetitions that are typical with other rehabilitation techniques.
- It creates dynamic spinal offloading and neuromuscular rehabilitation with the ultimate goal of neuromuscular integration.
The Musculoskeletal Effects of Abnormal Posture and Spinal Alignment:
- Scoliosis and other spinal conditions can affect the balance of body posture and spinal alignment.
- A loss of normal spinal balance creates abnormal loading on the vertebra, discs, ligaments, joints, tendons, muscles and nerves.
- Over a relatively short period of time, abnormal loads on the body tissues alter their functions.
- Over a long enough period of time the structure of body tissues will change in response to the abnormal loading further compromising function.
- These changes can damage the body .i.e. facet joint arthrosis, disc degeneration, nerve root irritation, spinal stenosis, all of which lead to pain.
- Promoting a change in the balance of the posture and the spine can help to correct the abnormal loading.
A recent presentation in Athens, Greece (see article here) has shown that use of the SpineCor brace in adults has been very successful in helping adults with chronic pain from scoliosis.
The process of bracing in adults is similar to bracing children only the goal is support and cessation of chronic pain. The reason bracing in adults is so effective is that the SpineCor dynamic corrective brace is providing the spine with support but it doesn't limit the movement of the spine therefore the muscles along the spine are strengthened. This allows for better natural support of the spine and less pain.
Most adults with scoliosis that have chronic pain, seek the care of Doctors of Chiropractic or physical therapists. Most of these people respond well to their care and at the end have less pain. However, when the care ends and the patient is left on their own, inevitably they forget to continue their exercises and their pain returns. With the SpineCor brace the brace is the exercise and when it's on it keeps the spine supported and strong so you never forget to do your exercises because you're wearing them. Typically adults will wear the brace initially about 18 hours per day. But as the spine strengthens the brace is worn less. Eventually the brace is worn as needed during times where the person feels they need more help during a certain activity.
Find a Doctor